Thursday, November 3, 2011

Memories of a Baby I Never Met

Yesterday was the anniversary of the birth of a baby girl I never got to meet, but her memory is an important one to me.

Baby K was born in 2009, many weeks before her expected date of delivery. She was stillborn. Her mama and I were friends even before she got pregnant with her. We had been out of touch due to busy lives and I hadn't seen her in a while but she was all of a sudden constantly on my mind. I don't know what made me think of her but in the weeks after the birth and death of K her mama was frequently on my mind. I emailed her finally to check in and she told me the news.

Now I have talked with my friend about her sweet baby and I am glad she trusted me enough to share those memories with me. It always surprises me in situations like this that everyone doesn't want to know. That anyone could mistake this life as a life that didn't really happen.

She happened all right and she left tiny sized foot prints on my heart and on my life. I wish I'd been able to meet her. I watch her two siblings now grow and change and it makes me think of her often.

Happy Birthday Baby K. You are missed and loved. And to your Mama I offer love and many many gentle hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment