Monday, September 2, 2013

2013 Books in Review #3: Freakling



Every once in a while I pick up a book as I pass it on a whim. Freakling is one of those books. I passed it at the library and brought it home because it caught my eye.
Freakling is a young adult dystopian novel, the first novel released by Lana Krumwiede. In it the residents of the world use Psi for all of their daily living. They don't use their hands at all. Taemon has quite powerful Psi but he loses it when his brother tries to kill him and he doesn't fight back. After this he has to relearn everything because he can no longer use his mind to do such activities as buttoning a shirt or feeding himself.
In addition to having to relearn these things in a new way he also must keep his loss of Psi a secret from his community. He manages to do so for a time but then he is found out and he is sent away to a colony of outsiders who do not use Psi. Taemon had always had prejudices against the outside colony but when he arrives he finds that they are not dumb, slow individuals as he was led to believe, but rather a functioning group, albeit living differently than those who use Psi instead of manual labour.
I rated this book 3/5 stars. It was a fairly solid story although some of the characters weren't as developed as I would have liked. All in all though I enjoyed it and I look forward to reading the sequel when it is released.
Freakling was book #3 for the year, #2 in the library challenge, letter F in my A-Z challenge, book #2 in my books by women challenge, and fulfilled the dystopian requirement in the eclectic reader challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment